If your family is anything like mine, mac and cheese is a go to in your house too! I wanted to come up with a healthier version for my kids instead of the not- so -healthy in a box variety, so I came up with this low carb healthier version. My family also loves chicken carbonara, so I thought why not combine the flavors of carbonara and mac and cheese! Voila! Low Carb Mac and Cheese Carbonara was born!! My oldest likes this recipe even better than my chicken carbonara and that used to be his number 2 favorite meal. If you prefer to leave the broccoli out of the caserolle then you can just have it or another veggie on the side.
Low Carb Mac and Cheese Carbonara- S
- 1 box dreamfields pasta
- 6 slices turkey bacon
- 3 T butter
- 2 T baking blend
- 2 c. almond milk
- 1 c. cheddar cheese + a handful more
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese
- ¼ c. parmesan cheese from the green can
- 1 tsp. Paprika and
- 1 T. garlic salt
- 2 cups frozen broccoli
- Optional: 2 c. cooked diced chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cook pasta according to directions on the box
- Bake bacon at 375 for 8 minutes
- Steam broccoli. I simply steam mine by putting it in a microwavable bowl, covering the bowl with a wet paper towel and nuking it for 5 minutes. I then take it out, stir it and nuke it for another 2 minutes.
- Make the cheese sauce. Make a roux by combining the baking blend and butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Slowly add in the almond milk, 1 c cheddar cheese, & mozarella cheese continually stirring with a silicon whisk until well combined. Add in paprika and garlic salt.
- Mix bacon, broccoli, chicken (if using) and pasta w/ cheese sauce in 9 x 13 pan
- Sprinkle with ¼ c. parm cheese and a handful of cheddar cheese
- Bake for 10 minutes